Updated 20110413

You can always manually change partition sizes, freeing up enough space for a /home directory, by using Gparted (, which is in ready-to-use distributions such as SystemRescueCD (, etc). You could also just drop in another hard disk and partition that. I use ext3 and ext4. Once you have the space available and partitioned, you can edit /etc/fstab, I prefer to use uuid’s.

To find out your hard disks’ uuids…



ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid/

I recommend you read David Pendell’s article at entitled “What UUIDs can do for you